10/20/2005

Now Playing: the sound of SHAME and retardednessss

I'm back in lab after sneaking out for an hour. I heard Mike [best TA ever] was giving a presentation at this weeks personality brown bag lunch thing. I read the paper, saw what class it was in, and totally sat in there, waiting for SOMEONE to come inside. That's what I get for walking in way too early.

What I get for being impatient and walking around Olmsted: total embarassment, level 1. I kept walking in and out of the halls, letting time pass so someone could walk into goddamn olmh 1316 for this talk I really wanted to see. As I walked around, I bumped into Dr. Ozer, and didn't say hi. I was such a pussy =[. So I pretend to be dumb [by being dumb], walk around inside AGAIN in olmsted, and then walk out from the other side.

Dr. Ozer never moved once from where he was standing.

*death* how embarassing. So I busted out the old ''pretend to be on your cell fone so that people don't notice that youre a complete idiot'' routine. It worked until finally, people were sitting in and I took my seat.

I should chime in right about here and mention how awesome it is to sit in a room full of grad students. They're telling anecdotes of dumb undergrads, and generally they're much more intelligent, so it was awesome just sitting around and listening. What isn't awesome about sitting in a room full of grad students is...

being the only undergraduate.

oh man.

SO Dr. Erickson comes in and starts setting up his powerbook. I go uhhhh where's Mike. Then Dr. Ozer sits down. I go phew, ok Mike will be here and I'm NOT IN THE WRONG PLACE. But then he leaves! And I go ahh!H. Then more grad students come in. THEN Dr. Funder comes in [!!!], and by this time, I am sitting in a small room with BOTH of my professors for this quarter, with no plausible way to leave the room without you know, them knowing or remembering I'm in their class.

The seminar itself was pretty awesome; it was on getting a job after getting your PhD. It was super informative, and it made me think that hey, us undergrads don't have such an awesome little push of the butt in the direction of how to go this whole grad skool process madness. I was going to raise my hand when questions were being taken, but something about being in a room with both my professors, a TA of mine, and a bunch of people way older than me ....

I kinda kinda left all nicely when it was over. Shaaaame on me. Where was my breezy extroversion to help me steer ahead and make a nice imp[ression with these awesome psych people? With professors who are like, super famous?

ah well. I come back as fast as I can back into the olmsted basement into lab. Of course, on my speedwalk I almost collide with DR. ROBERT ROSENTHAL.

YEP

ROSENTHAL

ROBERT

So I died. I talked to jon about this horrifying experience. It really kinda surprised me how shy and retarded I get around faculty. Erickson is right; we're chicken, but it isn't totally our fault. We go to one of the top 100 universities in the NATION. That alone is intimidating.

I also should've known how I'd react, based off of experiences with cuz and Izzy, where we see a faculty member from our department and giggle and be dumb and die. We call Dr. Parke psychstein =). ai puta. What a terrible, awesome day.

oh, and some of the midterm questions for our cognitive midterm blew chunks, and I may get a higher grade because of their erroneous nature. woot for persistence. boo for pussy shame.

so . . . where the hell did the brown bag presentation happen? did it??

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just so we are clear, the only one saying Psychstien is you, funny, but good times. Giggle all you want, serious people require seriousness. I own a great text book you can borrow; specifically there is a section on impression management. Also, as we know from psychology 150, traits or types do not necessary lead to consistent behavior. Bummer,

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home