2/21/2004

Now Playing: Jimmy Eat World - Believe In What You Want

Rainy days continue and so does my light mood =D. I had a fuckin great time last night with my peoplez here in the valley, and now that I have time to myself, and alot of time at that.. here is one amazing recent observation:

I'm hell bent on keeping malicious people out of my life from now on. For quite a few reasons, in the past I'd always associate with someone who just wasn't the person to be around. I was reading my psychology book, and it said something that's gonna stick with me for a very long time:

The Signal Detection Theory: "SDT" is an explanatory framework for understanding how decisions are made under certain conditions.

For example, [using example names too] lets say "Justine" wants to meet new people. She's going to consider she meets on a scale of ''pleasantness'', and amounts of pleasantness vary. Her judging the quality of pleasantness of people based on limited exposure [say, being at a party with them for a few hours] is to make uncertain decisions.

In uncertain situations, you can only control two things: 1] sensitivity; the amount of overlap between groups, and 2] bias; how high or low her criterion is for determing how plesant someone is at the time.

Of course, in uncertain conditions, some errors and inevitable. In this case, because there is two groups of stimuli [good people and bad people], there are two types of errors. This is where this theory kicked me in the head with goodness:

error #1: based on limited exposure, Justine can miss out on a potential good friend. We'll use "Paul" as an example.
error #2 based on limitied exposure, Justine can start up a friendship with somebody that she SHOULDN'T start one with - "Timothy". baad Justine!

Along with being able to making two kinds of errors, you can also make two kinds of correct decisions based on limited exposure:

"hit": Justine starts up a friendship with a good potential friend - "Brighton". =D This is called a ''hit''
"miss": Justine correctly rejects a bad potential friend - "sTEven". hehehe this is called succeeding in a ''miss''

Man, I love my psychology book even though I never use or open it <33. And so ends my current run of random observations. One final thing: I'm really close to installing The Sims and all it's expansion packs onto my laptop. Anyone have suggestions on who to make, what to make them do, etc etc???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home